Hot Stone Massage
Hot stone massage is often thought of as a treatment solely to provide relaxation and pampering. However, used as tools to heat or cool tissue and muscle, a treatment using stones can be so much more. The stones are smooth basalt and can either be heated in water or frozen.
The benefits of heat include:
- an increase in local circulation bringing nutrition and removing waste
- an increase in lymphatic fluid movement removing damaged cellular debris
- aiding relaxation of muscles
- acting as a natural pain killer
- increasing the ability to therapeutically stretch tissue and muscle
The benefits of cold include:
- healing time is reduced owing to a slowing of cellular metabolism
- swelling and heat from new injuries is reduced
- pain is reduced as sensory signals are slowed and pain tolerance is increased
- muscle soreness and tightness is reduced
There are also many benefits to alternating the application of heat and cold to the body. The use of hot and cold in quick succession provides a flushing of the blood and tissue fluids.